- Morning assemblies with the whole school featuring prayer, a devotion, praise songs, birthday celebrations and announcements.
- Chapel each Wednesday featuring singing, Bible recitation and a message or special presentation.
- Participation in a “Family Group,” a K-8 mix of 10 students led by and 8th grader. These groups meet almost weekly for prayer, game or devotional activity.
- Daily Bible instruction using Veritas Press Judges through 2nd Kings
- Weekly scripture memorization including Psalm 139
- Daily reading/literature: Spalding and Shurley programs. Books include Pippi Longstocking, Stuart Little, Dear Levi; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Henry Huggins, Charlotte’s Web, The Boxcar Children and the Hurricane Mystery, Pilgrim’s Progress, and Little House on the Prairie. Book reports include: a Christian fiction, a mystery, a biography and a state report.
- Spelling: Spalding – a multi-sensory phonics program
- Grammar/Writing – Shurley. Students learn all eight parts of speech as well as use direct and indirect objects. Our writing genre includes: expository, descriptive, informative, narrative, report writing, and creative writing. Students use cursive throughout the entire year.
- Daily math: Saxon including multiplication and division
- History: Ohio history which also includes its government, economics, climate, and topography. We also memorize the states and capitals and are able to spell the fifty states
- Geography: We study the U.S. and world through a hands-on approach of individual maps, globes, and atlases
- Science (CSI) : includes investigation, the circulatory and respiratory systems, plants, forces and electricity, heat and temperature, soil, natural resources, and structures
- Health: includes eyes, community health, attitudes, families, nutrition, hygiene, diseases, bones first aid, and safety
- Latin instruction three days per week
- Music, including choir
- Art and library once per week and physical education three times per week
- Daily snack from home; daily lunch and recess
- Annual participation in Field Day, Christmas program and Spring Musical and a third grade led chapel service.
- Monthly interaction with residents from nearby independent and assisted living facility.
- Field Trips and Special Activities:
– Hale Farm
– Rocky River Nature Center
– Natural History Museum
– Westlake Public Library
– a water purification plant
– a boat tour on “The Good Times”
– a play
– Ohio birthday party
– a wax museum book report day
– our “cuddle-up-and-read” party
– special movies which accompany our literature books