- Morning assemblies with the whole school featuring prayer, devotion, praise songs, birthday celebrations and announcements.
- Chapel each Wednesday featuring singing, Bible recitation and a message or special presentation.
- Participation in a “Family Group,” a K-8 mix of students led by 8th graders. These groups meet weekly for prayer, game or devotional activity.
- Daily Bible instruction using Veritas Press Judges through 2nd Kings
- Weekly scripture memorization including Psalm 139
- Daily reading/literature: Spalding and Shurley programs. Books include Pippi Longstocking, Stuart Little, D’Aulaire’s Book of Greek Myths, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Henry Huggins, Charlotte’s Web, The Boxcar Children and the Hurricane Mystery, Little Pilgrim’s Progress, and Black Ships Before Troy: A Children’s Iliad. Book reports include: a Christian fiction, a mystery, a biography and a state report.
- Spelling: Spalding – a multi-sensory phonics program
- Grammar/Writing – Shurley. Students learn all eight parts of speech as well as use direct and indirect objects. Our writing genre includes: expository, descriptive, informative, narrative, report writing, and creative writing. Students use cursive throughout the year.
- Daily math: Saxon including multiplication and division
- History: Instruction using Veritas Press – New Testament, Greece & Rome. We memorize poems about Greek and Roman history. Timeline chant featuring important dates and world events from our time period. Our year culminates in a living history museum which features figures from the ancient world. We also meet major philosophers like Plato, Socrates and Aristotle as we journey through history.
- Geography: We study the U.S. and world through a hands-on approach of individual maps, globes, and atlases
- Science (CSI) : includes investigation, the circulatory and respiratory systems, plants, forces and electricity, heat and temperature, soil, natural resources, and structures
- Health: includes community health, attitudes, families, nutrition, hygiene, diseases, bones first aid, and safety
- Latin instruction two days per week
- Music, including choir and learn how to play the recorder
- Art and physical education two times per week
- Library once per week
- Daily snack from home; daily lunch and recess
- Annual participation in Field Day, Christmas program, Grandparent presentations and a third grade led chapel service.
- Service Project: Making holiday cards for clients at a nearby independent and assisted living facility.
- Field Trips and Special Activities:
– Dissection lab at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History
– Walking tour of downtown Cleveland identifying Greek & Roman influences
– Water Stewardship Center at Westcreek
– a boat tour on “The Good Times”
– a play
– Ohio birthday party
– a wax museum book report day
– our “cuddle-up-and-read” party
– special movies which accompany our literature books